Welcome back to the show everyone.
Today I’m talking to the brains and mastermind behind KoHub – the tropical coworking space in Koh Lanta – James Abbot.
James was a digital nomad before there was even a name for it. He used to divide his time between programming remotely using his collection of 3G sim cards, exploring undiscovered scuba diving spots, and sailing around South East Asia on the boat he lived on!
Since then James has traded in his life of perpetual travel, sold his boat, and now spends his time building a community within his coworking space along the Andaman sea.
- Feeling like something is missing [03:11]
- Asking the boss if you can take a year off [03:49]
- Selling all of your stuff [04:00]
- Are workers who live the nomadic lifestyle happier? [07:00]
- Is digital nomadism a movement or industry? [10:45]
- The need to run a coworking space as a business first [11:45]
- Making Thailand your home [15:00]
- The Coworking Unconference Asia (CUASIA) [16:25]
- The growing number of digital nomads in South East Asia [17:45]
- Working from a boat with 3G [20:00]
- Cabin Fever! [23:45]
- Rekindling the love of diving [25:00]
- Why James sold his boat [29:00]
- The sustainability of living on a boat [30:00]
- The trials and tribulations of visas [31:00]
- Organizing the weekly beach cleanup [37:00]
- Traveling vicariously through the stories of the people you meet [40:00]
- The difficulties with finding staff in Thailand [42:00]
- The philosophy of the risk-taker [46:00]
James Abbot Talking Points:
- The Coworking Unconference Asia
- Connect with James and KoHub:
Have you ever thought about moving your life to Thailand?