Ever wanted to live and work remotely as a Digital Nomad?
Sila Nur Isik is an entrepreneur from Istanbul, Turkey currently living in London, England. She has a masters degree in Graphic Design, runs an advertising agency called Mind The Ad and was one of the first 75 people to attend Remote Year.
In this episode of Love Affair Travel I talk to Sila about her year with Remote Year, all of the joys of living and working abroad, as well as how she uses her ability and love for travel to help start ups across the globe.
“I was really fascinated by how passionate everyone is, how enthusiastic they are about their projects.” – Sila Nur Isik
- Sila’s beginnings [2:01]
- Starting her own agency Mind the Ad [2:47]
- Pitching the Start up Project at Web Summit [5:28]
- The Difference between Agency world and Web Summit world [6:55]
- Connecting old businesses with new technology [9:39]
- What is Remote Year? [10:42]
- How to find accommodation for 75 people… Hint: It’s not easy! [12:39]
- Becoming a “Tour Guide” in your home country [14:53]
- How to live and work in a different country every month [16:11]
- What do you do when a volcano erupts in SE Asia? [17:13]
- The work Sila did during Remote Year [18:42]
- What is Startup Weekend? [20:39]
- What is Startup Malaysia? [21:09]
- What is an Agency? [21:57]
- Selling books online in Argentina [26:50]
- The Carnival in Rio de Janeiro [31:18]
- The emotional experience of completing the Remote Year journey [33:12]
- Sila’s overall impression of Remote Year [35:02]
- Personal development [36:25]
- Having the courage to travel [38:36]
- The Nomad Cruise experience [39:59]
- What is next up for Sila? [44:24]
Sila Nur Isik Talking Points:
- Startup Malaysia is a not-for-profit organization that aims to help increase the number of fundable startups through its various programs.
- Startup Weekend will set up the ideal environment for you to be successful and learn as much as possible in just 54 hours.
- Wallpaper magazine has been covering everything from architecture to motoring, fashion to travel, interiors to jewelry sonce 1996.
- Web Summit has been called “the best technology conference on the planet”. Attendees, ranging from Fortune 500 companies to the world’s most exciting startups.
- Interested in living and working abroad? Check out Remote Year!
- Sila’s Blog at Medium and Remote Year
- Connect with Sila:
“In our country [Argentina], no one has ever bought a book online.” – Sila Nur Isik on the challenges of helping start-ups in South America