Do not copy this skoolie propane system. It was strung together by a non-expert. I created it from scratch and it’s probably not safe. This is for entertainment only.
This blog is in response to Scott (or KJ, I don’t know who controls their Facebook page) of the Roll With It bus conversion. This is the best video that I made of the propane system, if you’d like to follow along with our School Bus Conversion build (https://youtu.be/Lmy1uGzFgoo).
I remember how painful it was to develop this plan on my own, so I hope this helps you with whatever propane system you build on your bus. Also, I hope anyone seeking solutions to their skoolie propane system can find this entertaining.
Skoolie Propane System Shopping List
- Propane Tank – http://amzn.to/2jKdT8J
- I didn’t purchase it online, but the linked tank will serve exactly as the one I picked up in town.
- Low Pressure Regulator – http://amzn.to/2xTwfdD
- I don’t know why, but I think this is important.
- Gas Bottle Rack – http://amzn.to/2yeSt5V
- I store my propane tank OUTSIDE of the bus. I’ve got no interest in having a bomb in my house.
- 3/8″ to 3/8″ NPT Nipple Pipe Connection – http://amzn.to/2xpEX1Y
- I used gas plumbing tape to join the quick connect hose (5) to the regulator. This was a small, but important piece.
- 3/8″ Flare Tee – http://amzn.to/2fCgZHa
- I used three of these little brass pieces of metal.
- These tees act just like you would imagine, they empower you to make your system bigger.
- The guy at the hardware store told me that this was an illegal system.
- Image below of my harnessing strategy. Note that the screws turn to pull the bailing wire closer together. It’s a very sturdy harness, despite that it looks redneck.
- Mr. Heater 12′ Gas Hose – http://amzn.to/2xplfDo
- This one is expensive, but I want the exterior gas line to be very sturdy. I’m happy with this thing
- Stanbroil Gas Appliance Hookup – http://amzn.to/2xq4Tuh
- I use this hookup kit to connect one of the tees to my cook top. It has a manual shut off as well as a collection of fittings.
- Steel Braided Hoses
- Camco 3′ Propane Hose – http://amzn.to/2jMmhV6
- I don’t know why I went with a different brand on this one. This is the symptom of a scattered mind. But hey, it works fine.
Make Sure to Check Connections
The most important part of a propane system is to check the gas connections. I used about a spoonful of soap (http://amzn.to/2wM6tTF) in a spray bottle. Then I would spray the connections and look for bubbling connections.
Smell was not enough for me. When I turned my propane tank on, I couldn’t smell any gas leaks, but I could see them when I tested for leaks. A bubbly connection looks like this: